So the Audi is now on it’s 3rd windscreen in 6 months. It’s a 2000 model A3 with the 1.8T 150BHP engine and sport pack. I love it and want to keep it running as long as I can. When my Wife and I got back from our honeymoon on the 17th August 2011 we noticed the windscreen had a nice 6-7 inch crack running through it from the drivers A pillar about halfway up. This has been caused while we were away and obviously I was fuming.
I called the insurance company who referred me to their glass repair company. A few days, £70 and one visit later, the screen is repaired and I’m back on the road. However, when the screen was fitted, the plastic trim that meets the bottom of the windscreen was not fixed in correctly and would make an almighty noise when the car would get above 20MPH. At 70 on the motorway the noise was unbearable. The week before last I finally had the glass company back on the phone as the noise wasn’t going away. This despite my efforts to fix it by using window sealant to create a seal, and my garage doing a full service an MOT on the car (including an hour or so just trying to get that panel back into place properly). They agreed that the window had not been fitted properly and agreed to refit it.
So my Wife took the car 5 minutes down the road to the glass place. They had the car for 5 hours and managed to reseat the screen and the panel so they fit snugly. On the way back home, no noise! The next morning what had happened? A massive 9-10 inch stress crack had appeared from the middle-bottom of the screen right into the driver’s view again. Not happy I got the glass place back on the phone. After agreeing a FOC replacement I booked the car in for last Saturday. The screen was duly replaced, the car was not moved for 48 hours and I’m happy to report that the screen is crack free, and the panel has been nicely sealed to the bottom of the windscreen. No wind noise! Yay!
I’ll see how it gets on, but I think it should be fine from now on. Provided I don’t plan on going on another honeymoon any time soon!
Lovely morning here in Sheffield today. Loads of ice, sleet and slush. Roads like a skating rink, and not one sighting of a grit truck at all! Typical. Had a great time sliding my way down Queens road. Getting sideways in a FWD car is not easy normally, but in Sheffield it’s easy! Seriously, the city council needs to get their act together or there will be some serious accidents soon.
Pro tip guys: Plan, better.
So, this Sacred Heart diet seems to be working OK. Aside from me being absolutely fed up of eating nothing but fruit, veg and soup, I have gone from 216lbs to 205lbs in 2 days so far. I’m not one for diets, nor do I really know if that is good or not. Seems OK, although I really don’t feel any different. And I am craving a burger and fries like you have no idea!
11 lbs in 2 days. Not bad.
So Lauren (My wife) has us both started on a new diet this week. All I can eat is soup, fruit and veg. And that’s just today! It all changes tomorrow. Still soup, but different fruit, or something. I can’t have steak until, like, Saturday, or something! I need sustenance!
All said and done though, this does look like a pretty incredible diet. Lose up to 15 Lbs in a week or something like that. Obviously if I fear for my health I’ll stop, but I want to see how this turns out. At a touch over 15 stone I’m pretty sure my BMI is waaaay out of wack. And it also means I’m not supposed to use our aluminium step ladders at home either. They have a weight limit (total ) of 15 stone.
I’ll keep you all posted.
…and I can’t hear a darn thing!
Turns out with the valve being fully recirculating (dumps the air back into the intake, instead of into the atmosphere), you can’t hear it. So I have no idea as to whether or not it’s actually working properly. Guess I have some fine tuning to do. The next step is to add an short ram intake and remove the factory air box. That way when the charged air is dumped back into the intake, I’ll be able to hear that lovely Greddy style “chirp”!
So I installed the NGR type S in the car earlier (with the single spring mod). The valve wouldn’t open. I just heard the boost backing up behind the valve leaking out when I turned off the ignition.
I’ve now installed the smaller of the two springs. This means the valve will now open at 9 Hg instead of around 15/16 like before. I’ll try it at some point again this weekend. If it works, you can bet there’ll be a video posted. But not until it is working!
The weekend I mean! But yes, I will also get the final pieces of the puzzle today. This means I’ll finally get to install the NGR valve in the car over the weekend! I’m looking forward to creating the guide to accompany it. It’s a very simple swap once you have the right kit! Tuning it will be a different matter!
Don’t change channel!